Two Israeli submarines beard the name INS Rahav. The first Rahav was the 2nd Israeli submarine and was purchased from the Royal navy in 1958 (formerly HMS Sanguine). Founder of the state and first Prime Minister, David Ben-Gurion gave the submarine its Hebrew Name. Sanguine got the Biblical name RAHAV(Rahab). It is mentioned in the Bible as an ancient monster. Isaiah. Chapter 51, Verse 9:
"Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the Lord; awake as in the ancient days, In the generation of old! Art thou not it that hath cut Rahab, (RAHAV) and wounded the dragon? (TANIN)"
The Rahav arrived at Haifa, her new home port in January 1960 under the command of LTC Hadar Kimhi. It was a S class submarine and served in the Israeli navy until 1967. . The second Rahav was a Gal Class submarine. It was commissioned in 1975 and arrived at her home port, Haifa in 1976. It served in the Israeli navy for 21 years and was decommissioned in 1997.