The "Flying Wing" squadron of the IAF now known as the "Defenders of the South" was established in 1956 and since then used as an "old age home" for fighters of the IAF just before their final retirement from service. 1956, P-51 Mustang. 1962, Mystère IV. 1971, A-4 Skyhawk and in 2003 the F-16A/B from the Negev squadron. During the "2nd Lebanon War" the squadron flew the most sorties of the IAF. Today it is stationed in Nevatim air base and used as "Advanced Operational Training Unit" for fresh graduates of the flight academy.